Motive Workforce Solutions http://www.motiveworkforce.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/sm-logo-200x200-1.png https://www.motiveworkforce.com https://www.motiveworkforce.com true
Principal CAD Administrator
Portland, OR US
Posted: 05/15/2023 2023-05-15 2023-07-10 Employment Type: Direct Industry: Engineering Job Number: 84304
A stealth renewable energy and ocean technology startup committed to rapidly developing and deploying technologies that will ensure a sustainable future for the Earth by unlocking the vast energy potential of its oceans.
They are developing a core technology that will operate in the worst conditions the world's oceans have to offer for years at a time without human maintenance or intervention. Building and testing hardware is in our blood.
As Principal CAD Administrator, you will be responsible on a day-to-day basis for the smooth running of our CAD system and its integration with the Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) system through engagement with our vendor and PLM administrator. You will be the point person for communicating with developers or vendors on issues that need to be resolved and will implement upgrades and customizations of the CAD system.
While providing prompt user support and monitoring user activities are a core function of the role, you will also have a strong drive to improve our systems. You will work with the engineering and fabrication teams to implement solutions that help to accelerate design and manufacturing. This could include implementing standardized parts/libraries, developing and maintaining best modeling and drafting practices, creating custom CAD tools to automate engineering design, or implementing strategies to simplify integration with our CAM systems. You will also be willing to pitch in where needed and assist with surge modeling/drafting support.
Candidates should have strong interpersonal skills and be able to thrive in a creative, scrappy, and collaborative environment in which the best ideas change the company's direction on a regular basis. Our staff have worked at organizations such as SpaceX, Blue Origin, Boeing, Virgin Orbit, Virgin Galactic, Google, Amazon, Microsoft, New Relic, Bridgewater, Raytheon, Disney Imagineering, and the US Army and Air Force, as well as research universities, startups, and small companies across a range of industries. We are organized as a public benefit corporation and are backed by leading venture capital firms, private investors, philanthropic investors, and endowments.
We strive to be the best engineering team on the planet and we compensate our team members accordingly.
- CAD Administration
- Perform routine and scheduled CAD maintenance tasks
- Test new patches and releases for NX CAD
- Develop CAD, CAE and CAM processes and workflows
- Interface with the CAD vendor for troubleshooting and improvements
- Interface and work with Teamcenter administrator for PLM improvements and issue resolution
- Contribute to improvements in PLM processes and the resulting changes in NX and supported CAD systems
- Work with the Teamcenter administrator to review and evaluate Teamcenter and NX releases
- Assist and coordinate with the internal IT team as needed for CAD software upgrades and CAD user admin activities
- Work with users to develop/update tool customizations to improve efficiency
- Develop a plan to increase first-time quality of drawings and conform to ASME requirements
- Serve as administrator for CAD software purchase requirements and dissemination of software to team
- Conduct quality checks on peer drawings and bills of material
- Create and maintain standard hardware libraries/part families
- Drive the development and maintenance of drawing standards
- Drive the development and maintenance of common parts and features
- Keep abreast of new versions, features, and modules and disseminate information to the user community
- CAD User Support
- Provide a robust CAD operating environment through promptly responding to user requests for support
- Triage and escalate complex or new issues promptly
- Support and troubleshoot NX
- Administer and support user access, permissions, and licensing to provide secure access to NX and supported CAD systems
- Provide operational support to Teamcenter and CAD users
- Support/Deliver training to new and existing staff
- Create and maintain documentation for user support processes
- Modeling and drafting as needed during surge periods
- Drive continuous improvement and implement strategies for improving CAD/CAM integration and efficiency
- Bachelor of Science degree in a technical field with a minimum of 5 years of developing, documenting, and training to CAD standards, including drafting standards and modeling standards
- 10+ years 3D CAD modeling experience
- Experience with CAD Modeling in NX and PLM systems, Teamcenter
- Experience in NX assembly management, file structure, feature-based modeling, and data exchange methods
- Experience with NX modules such as modeling, drafting, sheet metal, and routing
- Familiarity with ASME Y14.100, Y14.4, Y14.5
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Confidence working independently to determine requirements, identify solutions, and drive a project forward
- Knowledge of PLM strategies
- 10+ years' experience in Teamcenter and CAD administration, and support
- CAM experience (HyperMILL preferred)
- Hands-on hardware experience performing fabrication, assembly and/or testing in a professional, academic or recreational setting
- Experience with rapid prototyping processes (3D printing, CNC-machining, laser cutting)
- Experience with finite element analysis software (NX NASTRAN, FEMAP)
- Demonstrated leadership and team-building capabilities
- A curiosity to learn and a passion for continuous improvement
- Solid understanding of technical projects from the details to the big picture
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and presentation skills
The above qualifications are desired, not required. We encourage you to apply if you are a strong candidate with only some of the desired skills and experience listed.
- Travel to vendors and test sites as needed
- Intermittently able to work longer hours and weekends to support critical needs. While we expect a lot of each other, we also offer a high degree of autonomy and work-life balance, including unlimited PTO and flexible working hours.
$85,000 - $150,000
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Disability insurance
- Relocation assistance
Our offices, lab, and shop are located in Portland, Oregon. We strongly prefer local candidates or those willing to relocate due to the nature of our work. We are willing to discuss remote flexibility for exceptional candidates. In that case, intermittent travel to Portland is still required.