Power System Engineer Senior
Austin, TX 78758 US
- Performs complex power system analyses, such as protective coordination, fault studies, load flows, service reliability, load forecasts, power quality, voltage stability, system expansion studies, and market operations.
- Prepares and reviews standards, equipment specifications, design procedures, and test procedures.
- Develops and prepares engineering designs, drawings, circuit maps, control diagrams, charts, databases, plans, and other documents for transmission and distribution systems, generation and substation facilities, market operation and settlement systems and SCADA/EMS.
- Provides technical expertise in materials, design, welding, equipment standards, relay coordination, technology or other areas related to the utility industry.
- Formulates, prepares, and implements operating and safety procedures and guidelines, and operating manuals for system facilities including substations, transmission, distribution, and generation.
- Prepares necessary reports to regulatory agencies.
- Assists in providing technical and financial inputs for projects in electric utility budget process.
- Identifies, investigates, and analyzes engineering design problems, and develops corrective actions.
- Provides technical leadership for major or complex engineering and construction projects, and works closely with field personnel to support project energization.
- Assists efforts to keep up with the latest developments in the utility industry, to meet North American Electric Reliability Council (NERC), Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) and Texas Public Utility Commission (TX PUC) standards and regulatory requirements.
- May be responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in engineering, plus seven (7) years of experience related to engineering.
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Texas; or if currently licensed in another state, the ability to obtain a Texas PE license within one (1) year of employment.
- Experience with Protection Relay Design and Relay Settings for Transmission, Substation, and Distribution systems.
- Experience with developing, measuring, and maintain Power Quality monitoring systems for electric utility's Transmission, Substation and Distribution systems.
- Experience investigating and analyzing Transmission, Substation, and Distribution
- Experience investigating Power Quality issues, measuring, and analyzing Power Quality data.
- Experience investigating, measuring, and analyzing Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) generated by high voltage Transmission or Distribution systems.
- Experience investigating, measuring and analyzing Electromagnetic Field (EMF) generated by high voltage Transmission or Distribution systems.
- Experience working with CCP and other work groups to facilitate compliance with utility regulatory requirements (NERC/CIP/PRC/ERCOT).
- Experience in developing written reports, Test procedures, Fault report, and conducting Technical presentations.
- Knowledge of engineering design principles applicable to electric utility operations, such as generation, transmission, distribution and other related fields.
- Knowledge of advanced mathematical techniques such as trigonometry, calculus, and coordinate geometry.
- Knowledge of engineering standards, principles, methods, codes, practices, procedures, materials, and equipment used in the design, construction, and operation of the electric utility systems.
- Knowledge of preparation of cost estimates and engineering and feasibility reports.
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements within the local and state ordinances and laws.
- Knowledge of City of Austin purchasing and contract policies and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written technical and/or general communication including preparation of written reports.
- Skill in negotiations and handling conflict resolution.
- Ability to perform more complex engineering calculations and to analyze engineering problems.