NX Tool Designer
Long Beach, CA
- Provide tooling solutions for all aspects of composite structures production, including tooling, laminating, drilling, routing/trimming, bonding, and assembly processes.
- Responsible for developing tooling concepts required for manufacturing and for coordinating with the tooling team on design and fabrication.
- Assist manufacturing engineers in defining assembly processes.
- Provide technical expertise into the design of the components and assemblies to maximize quality level, minimize cost, and achieve rate targets.
- Input to the production layout of the process in the facility, continually analyzing and planning workflow, space requirements and equipment layout.
- Provide specifications, evaluation and implementation of new capital equipment for the production processes
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a manufacturing environment required.
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field, or High school diploma or GED with certifications plus equivalent years of experience within aerospace, mechanical or similar field.
- Experience with Teamcenter, Siemens NX and Oracle is a plus.
- Experience with new part introduction for composite structures; including trimming, drilling, structural bonding, and assembly processes.
- Expertise in composite manufacturing processes, such as; manual layup, fiber placement, winding, bulk and sheet molding, bonding, co-curing, co-bonding, bagging and curing, oven and autoclave operation, and composite repairs.
- Good at freehand concept sketching to clearly communicate your ideas
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment.
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement.
- Must be a U.S. person as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR 120.15)
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed.
- Must be able to provide proof of US-approved Covid-19 full vaccination status, unless otherwise exempted by an approved reasonable medical or religious accommodation from Virgin Orbit.
- Effective verbal communication with internal departments and external vendors. Written communication with correct spelling and grammar.
- Familiar with the use of PFMEAs to reduce risk to the manufacturing process.
- Formal GD&T training or certification, effective use to control costs and ensure quality.
- Good at freehand concept sketching for clearly communicating your ideas.
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space.
- Ability to thrive as a "one person team'.