Requires a Bachelor's Degree in Aerospace/Aeronautical or Mechanical Engineering and 7 to 11 years of experience in rocket propulsion design, manufacturing, and experimentation. 5+ years of experience in management of teams and demonstrated leadership. Experience in operations involving hazardous activity and direct aerospace experience. Design and engineering experience of launch vehicles or payloads is a plus. Proven teamwork and interpersonal skills and ability to plan, organize, and manage propulsion and energetics engineering efforts. The successful individual will be an enthusiastic leader capable of working independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team. The individual must have good written and oral communication skills and the ability to prepare technical specifications, proposals, reports, and prepare and deliver technical presentations. Further, the individual must be a motivated self-starter who can articulate new ideas to members of the Executive management team, the organization as a whole, and customers and prospects. The candidate must have or be capable of obtaining a government security clearance. The individual must have a valid, state issued, driver's license.
Essential Functions and Qualifications:
- Engineering, research and development of experimental and production level components, systems, or subsystems.
- Responsible for the technical and scientific development of the propulsion and energetics research laboratory.
- Manage day-to-day operations and strategic initiative for all engineering site activities aligned to company objectives.
- Plan and coordinate resources across multiple facilities to remove roadblocks and support conflicting priorities.
- Take ownership in engineering team success and team development.
- Identify and fill skills gaps as needed. Develop and train teammates. Focus on teammates' output, learning & development, behavior, interests, and skills growth.
- Responsible for hiring engineers and engineering aides and coordinating their training.
- Able to execute innovative propulsion designs, experiments, and advanced engineering calculations.
- Writing, editing, and advising on technical reports.
- Lead proposal narrative authorship and cost estimating.
- Program Management.
Additional Functions and Qualifications:
- Understanding of model based systems engineering and digital engineering principles.
- Knowledge of instrumentation, data acquisition systems, and control system.
- Propellant, combustion, and diagnostic development.
- Rocket motor and/or engine research and development.
- Product development including a wide range of pyrotechnic devices.
- Business Development.
- Familiarity with ERP, PLM, and PDM software systems.
Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the workday. Will require working in both indoor and outdoor environments. Proper lifting techniques required.
The performance of this position may require exposure to the manufacturing and laboratory areas, where under certain conditions require the use of personal equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, mandatory hearing protection, protective gloves, respirator, and lab coat. This position may also involve handling energetic materials and ingredients.
Salary: $140,000 to $165,000 DOE