Chemical Engineer, Biofuels
Woodland, CA 95776 US
The Chemical Engineer is responsible for high level technical tasks including designing, configuring and testing pilot-scale biofuels production systems. The qualified candidate will be an engineer with education in chemical process design and at least 3 years of relevant industrial experience.
* Evaluation and maintenance of existing pilot plant equipment: maintaining and upgrading hardware/software; supervision of equipment inventory; hardware/firmware trouble-shooting
* Development of new systems: development of design plans and specification of new processes and equipment with engineering team and suppliers; supervision of equipment installation activities; system commissioning; periodic verification of equipment testing and data acquisition.
* Data evaluation and reporting: data set management; data reduction, analysis and evaluation; development of written reports; assistance with presentations.
* Designing and implementing test procedures for pilot scale and laboratory experiments with chemical conversion systems and equipment.
* Modeling of chemical processes for the purpose of scale-up of laboratory and pilot equipment.
* Managing and analyzing large datasets.
* Working with and directing plant technicians in their work.
* Assisting with development and implementation of safe operating procedures.
* Maintaining a positive and collaborative workspace with colleagues and outside partners.
• Specific experience with gas/chemical synthesis and gas/chemical purification is a plus.
• BS in Chemical Engineering, or similar field, MS or PhD preferred or equivalent experience.
• 3-years of experience in chemical process design and development in a commercial setting.
• Familiar with process and chemical modeling programs like Aspen, ChemCAD, Matlab/Simulink, Barracuda, or equivalents.
• Strong knowledge of design of thermal and fluid systems, mass and energy balances, etc.
• Knowledge of probability and statistics, data analysis, design of experiments.
• Familiarity with chemical analytical equipment including GC-FID, GC-MS, electrochemical and optical sensors, calorimeters, and other basic laboratory testing.
• Basic knowledge of electronic systems and troubleshooting (use of DVM, oscilloscope, etc.)
• Basic knowledge of sensor systems, pumps, blowers, switches, etc. for configuring hardware.
• Basic knowledge in system process control & automation and reading P&ID diagrams.
• Demonstrated writing skills in English.
• MS Office Suite.
• Ability to work collaboratively.
• Strong interest in renewable energy systems.
• Ability to work in a team to deliver on time-sensitive projects with high visibility.
• Ability to lift 30 pounds and sit and stand for extended periods of time.